Every day in Australia 2 people are diagnosed with MND and 2 people die because of MND.
The Cure for MND Foundation is passionate about funding the best and brightest MND research within Australia – to discover treatments and ultimately a cure.
Early MND Detection Checklist
Typical Early Warning Symptoms and Signs of MND
Most MND symptoms are gradual in onset and get worse as time progresses. Symptoms are what the patient feels, and signs are what the doctor will see upon examination.
- Muscle weakness, which usually starts in the hands and feet, and sometimes shoulders and hips
- Hand weakness, manifesting itself in dropping things, difficulty opening jars and using nail clippers, worsening writing, etc.
- Foot weakness results in tripping, difficulties climbing stairs – typically without pain or sensation loss
- Difficulty with speech such as slurring, tongue weakness with twitches, and difficulty swallowing
- Atrophy and/or twitching in muscles (fasciculations), cramps and stiffness
- Changes in behavior like increased impulsivity, excessive laughing or crying
While these symptoms can be associated with many other disorders, people experiencing them should contact their GP and get a specialist Neurologist referral.
What the physician will see as possible signs of MND are:
- Muscle atrophy and/or fasciculations, weakness, and increased tone/spasticity in muscles and/or increased deep tendon reflexes
- Slurred and/or spastic speech, excess saliva, shortness of breath, and/or cognitive changes
- Reduced lung capacity on spirometry
- All of these signs will be in absence of sensory or other changes on examination
To Cure, to Care, to make Aware.
The Cure for MND foundation is Australia’s leading independent MND foundation focussed on funding large-scale collaborative research projects, clinical trials, and vital assistive equipment for all Australians living with MND. We do so in the hopes that we may all one day live in a World free from MND.
You can help make a difference.
All donations over $2 are tax deductible.
The estimated life time risk of being diagnosed with MND is 1 in 350 for males and 1 in 400 for females – this is about the same as one person in an average movie theatre. It can strike anyone.
More than 2000 people are currently fighting MND in Australia. 60% male and 40% female. Every day at least 2 more are diagnosed and unfortunately 2 more die because of the disease
A new study led by researchers with the United Nations (UN) has projected that the number of cases of MND globally will increase by 69% over the next 25 years, primarily due to population ageing
Approximately 58% of people with MND are under the age of 65, but the disease can strike at any age and can affect anyone.
The total economic cost of MND in Australia was $2.37 billion in 2015. With around 2000 people currently fighting in Australia, this equates to $1.1 million per person
For each year they live, every MND patient will on average require $31,598 worth of equipment (this does not include costs associated with carers, medications, home renovations, wheelchair accessible cars, or hospital admissions)
The average lifespan of someone diagnosed with MND is between 2-5 yrs. This equates to an average lifetime cost of between $63,196 and $157,990 in equipment needs alone
The estimated cost to live with the disease is around $200,000+ per year depending on level of disability and needs of the individual
In 2013 there were 147,678 deaths registered in Australia. With 787 deaths related to MND that year, MND therefore accounted for 1 in 200 deaths in 2013
The number of deaths each year from MND is rising - the disease can affect anyone at anytime
Upcoming Cure for MND Events…
Dedicated to closing the MND revolving door.
The 2 for 2 Fund provides a way for you to commit a direct investment into helping change the lives of MND patients and their families.
Victoria – Let’s cure MND
A fun four-day road-trip extravaganza raising much needed awareness and funds to find a cure for Motor Neurone Disease.
COMMUNITY – EDUCATION – SUPPORT
The Cure for MND Forums are a safe online community where you can ask questions, discuss concerns, voice your thoughts and share your experiences.
THE BIG Freeze 3 is coming in 2017
In 2016, the Big Freeze 3 event raised $6.1 million for vital MND research and clinical trials
Stay up-to-date On upcoming events & awareness campaigns throughout the year...
Sign up to receive Cure for MND Foundation newsletters and emails
Don’t worry, we hate spam as well, you can cancel your subscription to our emails at any time